Sell Your Stuff
Citybikes is not currently paying out cash for parts and can offer credit only. Citybikes is predominantly offering only credit for used bikes. Used bikes may be paid out (after mandatory 2 week hold) on a case by case basis, to be determined by consensus by the staff.
Citybikes thrives on giving used bikes and parts new life. Whether you’re upgrading or cleaning your garage, we’ll enjoy taking a look at your bike stuff.
Please be advised that we may not, and reserve the right to not purchases parts or bicycles. We take into account our current stock, part/bike condition, and customers needs when making purchases so please be prepared to take your items to a donation store or private sale if we’re unable to purchase your parts/bicycle. We can direct you if you’re unsure where to go, or how to sell.
The best time to sell anything to Citybikes is typically weekday mornings, as we open at 11am. If you are selling multiple bikes or a large quantity of parts, or if you arrive at a busy time, we may ask you to drop them off and give us a day or two to find the time to sort and price your items.
For parts we are able to pay out day of with cash, or check for amounts over $30. Frame and bicycles require a 15 day police hold before payment. If you choose to trade your stuff in for store credit, you will receive 20% more than if you decided to take cash. Store credit is valid same day at either shop, and it doesn’t expire.
Selling Complete Bikes
If you have a bike you would like to sell to us, bring it to the Annex. We will put the bike into a repair stand, and thoroughly examine it to determine what we can fix and what needs to be replaced. Be prepared to wait at least ten minutes for this process. Each used bike we buy will get a full overhaul, and it’s very likely some things will have to be replaced in order to stand up to our six-month warranty.
Be aware of the following guidelines:
- Citybikes does not buy full suspension mountain bikes
- Only rarely, and based on condition, are we able to purchase bikes with steel wheels and/or one piece cranks.
- Citybikes does not buy bikes sold in department stores, with the exception of some single-speed children’s bikes.
- The law requires that we hold your bike for 15 days before paying you for your bike. This gives the police time to confirm that your bike hasn’t been reported stolen. We can mail you the payment after this period, or you can pick it up at the Annex.
- Citybikes will probably not give you as much money as you could get by selling the bike on your own, as we will put parts and labor into the bike, and then resell it.
- A valid, government-issued ID is a must for selling your bike to us.
- You must be at least 18 to sell a bike to Citybikes.
Because bike frames have serial numbers, they are regulated in the same way as complete bikes. The same 15-day holding period applies, as do the ID requirements, and the types of frames we are interested in buying are the same. Citybikes will pay you roughly one half of what we will sell your frame for, depending on its condition and value.
Bring any parts you have to sell to the Repair Shop. We will study them, and two workers will agree on the selling prices. Citybikes will pay you half of the amount we will sell the parts for.
You must have a valid, government-issued ID, and be over 18 to sell used parts to us.